Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Community Man

Recently I was in Richmond, VA for a user group meeting. I had a presentation scheduled for the SQL and .NET groups, who held a combined meeting because I was in town. Thanks to them for that, and I had a great time meeting people and I think they liked the presentation.

However, earlier in the day I had lunch with Andy Leonard. Andy has been a friend for a few years, mostly through our online communications (email, IM, and lately Twitter). You can follow him at @Andy_Leonard and he has a blog at VS Team Systems. He's one of my "go-to" SSIS guys for issues with that subsystem.

We had a long lunch, talking about various things, but one thing stood out to me. He loves the community.

Besides enjoying his work, besides caring for his family, Andy has a great time just helping the community. He's not looking for anything to come back to him, no payment, no great recognition, but he just enjoys helping people.

I know that Andy is awarded his MVP recognition in part because of this, but I get the feeling he'd be doing it even if he didn't get that.

With so many people seeming like they have an agenda, this was refreshing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment